These are some of the churches connected with the Howcutt family. Unless otherwise stated, they still function as places of worship.
Between 1568 and 1856, a total of 32 baptisms, 16 marriages and 30 burials of people called Howcott, Howcutt etc. have taken place in the church and churchyard.
St Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex
Between 1830 and 1838, four children of John & Sarah Howcutt were christened in this church.
Brixworth parish church
All Saints church, Brixworth is the oldest building in England that is still in regular use. Much of the structure was built in Saxon times, the oldest parts dating back to about 680 AD.
Since 1721, a total of 51 baptisms, 10 marriages and 39 burials of people called Howcutt have taken place in the church and churchyard.
St Michael, Coventry, Warwickshire
When making his will in 1510, Edward Holcot asked to be buried in the Lady chapel at St Michael's church. Many other members of the Howcott family were associated with St Michael's during the following 200 years. In 1918, the church was designated as Coventry Cathedral. The building was devastated by bombing in 1940, but its ruins still stand adjacent to the new Cathedral. The picture shows the east end, with the Lady chapel in the left hand section.
Great Linford parish church
Thomas Howcutt of Brixworth and Elizabeth Martin, who was the living at Great Linford, were married at Great Linford church on 22 July 1800. They are ancestors of most of the people called Howcutt who are alive today. Great Linford is now in the northern part of Milton Keynes.
Great Oxendon parish church
On 28 August 1720, James Houcot of Oxendon married Mary Ward of Brixworth at this church. It is through their son William (1726-1782) that all Howcutts now living in the British Isles have received their surname.
Harrington parish church
Harrington church, about seven miles from Brixworth, was a popular venue for those who - for whatever reason - wanted to marry away from their home parishes. The position of the church, some distance from the houses of Harrington village, offered extra privacy.
Amongst the many outsiders who married at Harrington were James Howcot of Howcoot (i.e. Holcot) and his second wife Anne Ekins (who were both widowed) on 10 February 1738/9. James' first wife, Mary Ward, had been buried at Brixworth on 5 July 1737.
Kingsthorpe parish church
On 16 April 1857, Sarah Ann Howcutt married William Hollowell at Kingsthorpe church. Sarah Ann's mother, Sarah (Moody) Howcutt was buried at Kingsthorpe on 6 March 1886.
Lamport parish church
On 1 July 1811, James Howcutt of Brixworth married Maria Barker of Walgrave at Lamport church. This "James" can be positively identified as Charles Howcutt (christened in 1792 at Brampton, Huntingdonshire, died 1860 at Poplar workhouse). The couple were ancestors of some present-day Howcutts.
London - St James, Clerkenwell
In 1619/20 and in 1621/22, John Howkett and Mr Francis Howcott were buried in the church that formerly stood here. The present building was designed by James Carr and opened in 1792.
London - Holy Trinity, Marylebone
Sir John Soane designed this edifice, which was consecrated in 1828. It has been the scene of three Howcutt weddings. George Howcutt married Mary Ann Death here in 1849. Sixteen years later, his nephew Mark Michael Howcutt married Sarah Elizabeth Weightman. In 1898, Mark & Sarah's daughter Matilda married Arthur Laughford Husband at the same church. The building is no longer used as a church but functions as an events space called “One Marylebone”.
London - St Dunstan, Stepney
The Howcutt family has several links with the church of St Dunstan, Stepney. The present building is mainly medieval but replaces earlier structures dating back for over 1,000 years. William Howcott of Poplar was buried there, probably in the churchyard, on 18 December 1713. Joseph Howcutt & Elizabeth Linnett married in the church in 1804. Three children of Charles Howcutt were baptised at St Dunstan's in 1826, as was his adult daughter Ann in 1849. The six surviving children of William & Emma Howcutt were also baptised at this church, on 12 February 1862.
Lutterworth United Reformed Church
Between 1774 and 1780, four children of Robert Howcutt & his wife Mary Cowdell of Bitteswell were baptised at the Independent church at Lutterworth. The present building was erected in 1777 on the same site as the previous chapel. The congregation that worships there is now part of the United Reformed Church.
South Croxton, Leicestershire
On 9 February 1692/3, Anne Howcot (or Howcut) married "Will Linfield" at Shearsby. On 15 December 1701, "William Howcoate" was buried at South Croxton; administration of his estate was granted to his daughter, Anne Linthwaite. "Ann, wife of William Linfeldes" was buried at South Croxton in 1702. The three Linthwaite gravestones in the churchyard are of Richard Linthwaite (1704-1779) and his immediate family, Richard apparently being the son of William Linthwaite's second marriage.
Between 1632/3 and 1652, a total of eleven children of Robert Hol(l)cot(t)/Howcate/Howcoat(e)/Holcoate were christened at Stoughton. Robert Holcott was still residing at Stoughton in 1655 when he made his will, which was proved in 1658.