One of a number of roads on a housing estate south east of Tile Hill station named after former Mayors of Coventry. William Howcott(e) was Mayor of Coventry in 1592.
In 1808, the Vestry of Kettering decided to have the public roads cleaned by private contract. "Howcutt's Corner" was a location delimiting two of the districts into which the Town's roads were divided for that purpose. It was approximately the mid-point along the High Street, where it is joined by Meadow Road - then known as Goosepasture Lane.
The open fields of Kettering were enclosed in 1804. This involved a Robert Howcutt - almost certainly one of those mentioned under the heading "Howcutt's Yard". He made no personal claim to be allocated land, but the Commissioners' calculations do include him as a claimant. From their evidence, he had a cottage with about one-tenth of an acre of old enclosure and the right to pasture two cows on the Common, but he had no fieldland. There is no evidence in these records of where he lived. Robert's compensation for loss of common rights was assessed, after the usual deductions, at an annual value of 15.67 shillings and in the enclosure rate list it is recorded that he paid his levy of £1.4.9d. However, the half-acre or so due to him was not allotted, so he was presumably one of those cottagers who sold his interest before the land was divided up (1).
Howcutt's Yard & Howketts, Finedon, Northamptonshire
"Mrs Mona Warner's premises (in the High Street) stand on the site of a homestead owned in 1721 by Joseph Eayre (Eyre), which by 1806 had become a house and shop owned by Richard Vincent. Soon afterwards it became the farm homestead of Robert Howcutt. In 1851 it was the home of William Warren, a millwright, by which time cottages had been built in the yard behind. These were variously known as Warren's Yard and Howcutt's Yard." (2)
Robert Howcutt (c1744-1815) was an overseer of the poor at Finedon in 1791 and a churchwarden there in 1792. His son, another Robert Howcutt (1778-1846), was overseer of the poor at Finedon in 1822 and 1831. He would have been the Robert Howcutt who appears in the Finedon Dole Book in 1831 as a farmer residing, along with three females, in the premises that had been Joseph Eyre's homestead. The 1837 valuation book of the parish states that Robert Howcutt was the tenant of that homestead (owned by Rev. William Alington) and that Robert Howcutt owned 24 acres in the North East Field. In the Hall Sale Catalogue (1912), this land was known as "Howketts" (3).
Shown on Bryant's map (1823) as "Howcott Lane". This road is now called "Howcut Lane" and is the southern continuation of Chase Park Road.
Howcott Property, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA - A subdivision in the city of Baton Rouge.
Howcott, Grant parish, Louisiana, USA - Location of a head-on train crash on 5 September 1924 in which five people were killed and five injured.
Howcott, Chowan county, North Carolina, USA - On 9 August 1796, Richard Hoskins of Chowan county made his will. Amongst the bequests was "the land and plantation called Howcott likewise my part of the watermill", which he left to his son Richard (4).
Howcutt Street, Trenton, Ontario, Canada - A public meeting was held about an application to open, then close and sell to an adjoining owner a portion of Howcutt Street extending about 110 feet north from Dixon Drive (5). This street was presumably named after John Howcutt, who appears in the 1871 census of Trenton.
(1) From correspondence with R A Martin
(2) "Finedon otherwise Thingdon" by John L H Bailey (Finedon, 1975)
(3) From correspondence with John L H Bailey
(4) Chowan county will book A, page 353 – transcription of will.
(5) Minutes of City of Quinte West Council, 4 November 2002.